The Surly Pika Adventure Race takes place in the front-country of the Wind River Range in Wyoming. The terrain is rugged at times and can be thickly treed in places. The race is on United States Forest Service land, which is home to many different wildlife species, including moose, black bears, grizzly bears, mountain lions, and more. This is a compilation of gear that is mandatory for individuals and/or teams, as well as some suggestions for recommended equipment. The Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale is offering a discount for any registered racers stocking up on gear-please bring in your registration confirmation to get your discount.
MANDATORY TEAM GEAR (each team must have these items on hand at all times, or when noted as relevant to a specific race leg)
- Emergency Blanket
- Race Punch Card, Map and Guide (to be handed out on race day)
- Bear Spray
- Bike Repair Kit (tubes or patches, irons and a pump) (specific to bike leg only)
- Bug Spray
- First-Aid Kit
MANDATORY INDIVIDUAL GEAR (each racer must have these items on hand at all times, or when noted as relevant to a specific race leg)
- Water (use good judgement with regard to the amount of water needed-dehydration is dangerous!)
- Food (again, use good judgement-calories are your friends in a race like this)
- Mountain Bike (specific to bike leg only)
- CPSC-Certified Biking Helmet (must be worn at all times while biking) (specific to bike leg only)
- Boat/Pack Raft and Paddle-no motors or sails allowed. If using a single boat or canoe for an entire team, each team member must have a seat For 2019, both race divisions will be over moving water. Choose your craft based on your comfort level!
- Type III PFD/Life Jacket (must be worn at all times while boating) (specific to paddle leg only)
RECOMMENDED GEAR (not mandatory but strongly encouraged per team or individual)
- Waterproof Map Case
- It may be useful to leave your bike on the course while you trek over to a checkpoint. Bring a lock if you are not comfortable leaving your bike in the woods.
- Pants and Long-Sleeved Shirts
- Dry Bags
- Rain Gear
TAs for each race will be announced as dates approach. Remember, gear can be left at transition areas. The weather in the Wind River Range can change drastically and without notice. Racers are encouraged to stage extra clothing, food, water, and shoes at transition areas.
If you have questions about the gear list or required items, contact a Race Director.